Monday, June 14, 2010

Shades of Dirty

My two-year old son is finally talking and I am amazed at all of the new things that come out of his mouth, but I am not sure that even he understands everything that he is saying.

I was resting in bed the other day when he wandered into my bedroom to find me and jumped onto the bed with a cup full of cheerios. One fell onto the covers, and he immediately condemned it as ungodly filth that should not be touched, no, not even looked at:
"EEEWWW!"
"YUCKYYYYY!"
"DIRTY...Dat's a dirty cheerio, Mommy, DIRTY CHEERIO!"
My sense of pride over his ability to make good judgements about what to put in his mouth faded as instantly as it came. Just as quickly as he declared his disgust for the fallen cheerio, he snatched it up...and ate it. I was rather confused by the dramatic upheaval, and realized that he and I are just not on the same page as to what "dirty" actually means.

No comments:

Post a Comment