Monday, November 8, 2010

Say What?

Occasionally, I feel like I need a translator when my children talk to me. It's as if I am a foreigner in their fantasy land of made up words. Today, for example, as my daughter was sharing a story about one of her classmates, who happened to miss school, she explained that "she was 'apusent'".

"Absent?" I asked.

"Yeah, 'apusent'," she replied, implying that that was exactly what she had just said.

Yeah...right, of course. Sometimes the mispronounced words can be downright confusing. At other times, they are just plain amusing, especially in instances when words are misapplied.

Every night, for example, when Aloni says her prayers, she addresses God as her "heavenly Fodder". I can't help but smile and wonder if God finds it equally amusing that she refers to Him as a divine bale of hay on a regular basis.

I think my absolute favorite faux pas is when she affectionately refers to Anthony as her baby "bwudder". He has been her baby bwudder since before he was born, and I hope he will be her baby bwudder for the rest of her life.

No comments:

Post a Comment