Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Shh...It's a Surprise!

Hello MotherWomen!

I am sorry it has been a while since I have posted a new entry. I have been so busy with back-to-school, for both my daughter and myself. You, no doubt, have been keeping very busy yourselves!

I am taking two evening classes in finance and marketing, and the hour drive to and from certainly gives me time to think about things.

My marketing class class was not what I imagined it to be. I hate to say it, but I was extremely bored. I love learning, and as an instructor myself, and always ready to support the class and join in the discussions, but there was nothing to join into. I guess I pictured my marketing professor to be this pumped-up, outgoing individual who was ready to jump off sofas for the sake of motivating the class. Instead, I got the enthusiasm of that guy from the Clear-Eyes commercial. Maybe it was just the late hour, or just the first day blues, but it made counting kegels sound exciting...

98...99...100!

If you are not sure what kegels are, you need to have a serious talk with your OBGYN! The last thing you want is your uterus to fall out. Now that would be embarrassing, wouldn't it?

Anyway, after suffering through a very dry marketing class, I ventured homeward in my quiet car for a lonely hour drive. I wondered what my family was doing. I was curious if my husband had any surprises for me when I arrived. Oh, I'm not talking surprise me with a warm bubble bath and a glass of wine. I've been married over ten years now, and after the fifth year, I started to catch on that those weren't the kind of surprises I could expect from him. I was thinking more along the lines of whether or not the kids had been put to bed, or if the dishes had been done. My husband is very "laid back", and that means bed time is not necessarily an exact time as it is a very flexible, loosely-interpreted window of time some time between 8:00 p.m. and the next day.

My husband has adopted this punch line from family comedy as his personal slogan: "I wasn't sure if you wanted me to wash the dishes...so I didn't." It's funny in theory, but not so much in practice.

Whew! Thankfully, the kids were asleep when I arrived home, well past even my bedtime. Although I had missed them, I was so relieved that I didn't have to get involved in the long, drawn out process of tucking them into bed.

"I want to read one more story."

"I'm thirsty."

"You forgot to say a prayer."

"Did I ever tell you about the dream I had when..."

"WHERE'S MY (fill in the name of your child's favorite stuffed animal here)!!!!!"

Sometimes, I wish children came with an "off" button. Now that would be the ultimate "easy" button.

I crashed on the couch besides my husband and joined him in watching some TV. I didn't bother asking about the dishes, and thanked him for tucking the kids in on time. He smiled, and I was glad I didn't ask about the dishes.

Well, that's the major events of the moment in a nutshell. I hope you have been able to enjoy some quiet evenings yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment