Monday, August 2, 2010

Where's the Parade?

Flikr
Do you remember the first time you ventured out into the world alone with your new baby...just you and the baby???

Well, one of my new-mom girlfriends did just that the other day, and she commented on what a huge undertaking it was. The planning. The packing. The process. Then there is the  anxious anticipation of the what-ifs...

What if I forget something?
What if the baby starts to cry?
What if I start to cry?

It really is such a monumental milestone to overcome those fears and step out boldly and confidently into the world with your newborn baby. My friend made me laugh as she recounted her adventure because she lamented that by the time she arrived at the store, she was dissappointed to find that there was not a crowd of people ready to greet her with cheers and applause.

Where was the parade?

Where were the fireworks?

Unfortuneatly, as with many new-mommy milestones, there is no parade waiting to greet you when you overcome challenges, but there is that contentment and satisfaction that comes from being able to independently care for your baby and take on the world at the same time. I remember being so proud of getting my daughter ready to go out the first time by ourselves that I took pictures of her all dressed up and strapped in her car seat.

I dedicate this post to all the new motherwomen who are boldly venturing out with  their new baby at their side.

Look out world, because here they come!

No comments:

Post a Comment